Monday, August 24, 2015

"The Maze Runner"

I cannot believe that it took me so long to read these books. It only took me a week and a half to read through the entire series because I could not put it down. I will put them on here one at a time starting with the first one: "The Maze Runner", by James Dashner.  

"The Maze Runner" is about, well, a kid (Thomas) that runs through a maze. But first he wakes up in a box in the middle of the maze without any memory. There are a bunch of other kids in the maze, all boys, and none of them know why they are there or who put them there. Thomas, the last boy to arrive, is special because even though he doesn't remember anything he gets feelings about what seems right or familiar, and that helps guide him. The day after Thomas arrives the most unusual thing happens - a girl shows up in the maze.  Her arrival changes everything and is the beginning of the end for the boys in the maze. The grievers (horrible man-made monsters that live in the maze) start acting differently, the sun disappears, and then the doors stop closing at night which gives the grievers full access to attack the kids. After two years of unsuccessfully trying to get out of the maze, the rules have changed and one boy will die every night until they find a way to escape.

The Maze Runner Movie Tie-In Edition (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition)This book got my heart racing and it didn't slow down until the last page. My heart didn't get much of a break though because I started the second book, "The Scorch Trials", right away. This is the type of series that will leave you feeling empty when your done. It took me a couple of days before I could start another book because I was still living in this story. This is a whole other level of "dystopian". The world has crumbled and the "good" guys are only making things worse. This book is definitely a 4 out of 5. It's an amazing book, but there are some pieces of the story that don't have enough detail for the reader to really visualize. Which leaves some holes in the story. I'd say age appropriate for high school and older. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment