Sunday, August 9, 2015

"Half the Sky"

This book completely blew me away. My mom lent it to me a long time ago and I kept putting off reading it because it just didn't sound that good. Well I was in the mood for something different, so I decided to give "Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide", by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, a try. Simply based off of the title I assumed that this book would be a 'call to arms' to try to get readers to join a certain group. Boy was I wrong.

"Half the Sky" is comprised of a lot of true stories from around the world that share what life is like for a particular girl or community. It shows pictures and tells you (usually from the girl's point of view) what her life is like. Most of the stories are hard to get through because of how gruesome they are, and some made me cry. I knew that women were treated differently in other countries, I just didn't know how differently. This book opened my eyes and has truly humbled me. You need to read this book. I'm not saying read this book so that you can feel bad and donate money to some charity group. No, I'm saying read this book so that you can realize how good you really have it.

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women WorldwideThis isn't the type of book that you will pick up and read in one sitting. You might read it for a few days and then not read it again for a couple of weeks, but then pick it up and read it for a few days again. It's hard to get through because you don't really want to know about this stuff. The phrase "ignorance is bliss" applies here. Why read about a girl that was kidnapped and forced to become a prostitute? That will just make me sad. No. I think we need more books like this so that people can see what life is like in the world's poorer countries. I think that it is important for everyone to be educated on this matter. Even if all that comes of it is that we are more grateful for what we have. This is a perfect book for a reading group because I promise that you will want someone to talk with about what you are reading. Go pick up a copy and then share it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment