Thursday, August 31, 2017

"Everything, Everything"

As soon as I saw the preview for the movie "Everything, Everything" I knew that I needed to get my hands on this book ASAP. But, of course, every other person who saw the preview for the movie suddenly had to have the book too. So I waited and waited for a copy to become available at my city library....and huzzah! I finally got my hands on a copy and I devoured it in a few short hours. 

18692431Madeline Whittier is a normal teenage girl, except for the fact that she can't leave her house because she is allergic to almost everything in the world. Madeline has contact with two, occasionally three, people in the entire human species. Her mom, her nurse, and on rare occasions her architect tutor. Despite these setbacks, Madeline thrives, meets new characters, and goes on adventures in the books she reads. She yearns for the thrills that her favorite characters get, but she has accepted her lot in life and is content. Her universe is routine and safe and predictable... until she hears the beeping of a moving truck backing up next door. That's when a fourth person is introduced that sets her small world spinning. Madeline quickly learns that to have everything you have to be willing to risk everything. 

Talk about a book with a plot twist! I almost got whiplash from how fast the plot changed and went in a different direction. From page one this book had me hooked and I literally did not put it down until I finished it a few hours later. The characters are quirky and adorable and they all have a depth to their emotions that is sometimes hard to convey as an author, but which was beautifully done here. The story is gripping and unpredictable. The text is engaging and the format of the book swaps between a normal book and the characters' Instant Messaging conversations as they would look on a computer, with some pictures or other random entries by Madeline thrown in. I personally didn't love how much the format rotated between all these things, I found it to be a little overwhelming at some points, but it did add some depth to Madeline's character and made it easier for the reader to understand her. 

There are a few swearwords littered throughout the text - something to keep in mind if you are getting this book for a younger reader. I would say anyone young adult and up could/should read this book. 5 out of 5 stars by my rating. It's not very often that I find a book that will elicit so many emotions from me in such a short amount of time. I laughed, cried, wanted to scream, and had steam coming out of my ears all in one evening. I'm sure that you will enjoy this story as much as I did. So pick up your copy and then let me know what you think!




1 comment:

  1. I looooooove your description Goober! Now I need to find the book.

    ReplyDelete