Monday, January 19, 2015

"Extraodinary Comfort"

My mom gave me this book for Christmas. I always get at least one, she knows she can't go wrong with a book. This year the book was "Extraordinary Comfort", by David C. Asay. It's a book that I most definitely would not have picked up on my own. The cover says it's about a mother's near-death experience meeting her stillborn son. I've never had a stillborn, or miscarriage, so I probably would have walked right past this one. It is written by one of her children that was there in the hospital when she had this experience. She is an old woman by this time and is lying in a hospital bed in a coma that the doctors think she will never wake up from. Her room is full of family when she suddenly opens her eyes, sits up, and starts talking as if they are all just there for a nice visit. She tells a beautiful story about what she has been experiencing while she was in her coma and tells her husband that their fifth son is named Shawn. He died before they had picked out a name for him. She also met her grandson, a miscarriage that her daughter had years earlier.  

I won't go into more detail because I wouldn't be able to get the words right. It's a beautiful story and I think it would be very beneficial to someone who has lost a baby. Especially if they don't believe that there is in afterlife. Their child is simply waiting on the other side for his/her parents to get there. The author isn't LDS, but his views on this matter are the same as most church members. It's just an honest heartfelt story.  You might not be able to connect with this if you haven't lost someone, but I still recommend reading it. Or perhaps you could give it to someone who is going through a similar experience right now. Anyways, here you go. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment