Friday, September 12, 2014

"If I Stay"

What would you do if you had to choose between living and dealing with the loss of loved ones, or dying and not really knowing where you are going? I don't know if that's a question that anyone would really be able to answer until they were in a situation where they actually had to choose. I'd like to think that I would choose to live, but depending on whose death I had to deal with, I might choose to die with them. The book "If I Stay", by Gayle Forman, depicts a situation where one of these two choices has to be picked. Mia and her family get in a car accident, putting her in a coma, and she has to choose to go or stay. She reminisces old memories to help her decide, all while watching people come to visit her body in the ICU. 
If I Stay
That about sums up the whole book. This book was really 'talked up' to me before I read it, so I was expecting something different. I didn't exactly enjoy this book, and I don't understand why everyone else seems to like it so much. There I was reading about all these memories of her life, waiting for something to happen in the here and now, and then before I knew it I was at the end of the book. Lucky for me the book really isn't very long, otherwise I might have been mad I wasted more time on it. I guess this is one of those books that you will have to read for yourself. There is a sequel to it, "Where She Went", which might make the story more exciting. I will get back to you once I have read that one and let you know if it makes up for the first book. Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend reading this book unless you have time to spare and are genuinely curious about why it's so popular.



No comments:

Post a Comment