Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Quick intro to Books & Wings

That's about it...This quote right here basically sums up the way that I feel about books. I'm sure that A LOT of other people can relate to it as well. Which is why I am so excited to be starting this blog, because I just want to talk about books! Books take us out of this world and dump us in an alternate reality where we can escape life and pretend to be living in the middle of an adventure, or comedy, or mystery, or (my favorite) a romance. I can't tell you how many times a book has taken me out of real life and given me a small sanctuary, where I can forget about everything going on and pretend to be Elizabeth Bennet, or Katniss Everdeen, or a number of my other favorite characters.


Books quite literally give us wings and fly us away to a better place. However, not all books "fly us away" or catch our interest enough for us to make it past the first chapter, which is sad and frustrating at the same time. Especially if other people have told you it's SO good. So here I am, starting this blog of book reviews to hopefully help my fellow readers find books that they know they will enjoy before they turn the first page.  I'll start with a few of my favorites and then work my way from there! If you have any suggestions for books that you like, or books that you would like to read but aren't sure if they are worth the time, I would love to hear them! Hopefully I will be able to read them and write a post for each one.


Well, that's it for tonight I guess. I'll get my first real post on here tomorrow and that's where the fun will begin!


                                                                                             - Carli








4 comments:

  1. Books are a way for us to live a second, third, and dare I say a tenth life! They are a way for us to be a hero to the story feeling pain, heartache, despair, and tremendous joy. We become the character after awhile and embark on an incredible journey through the vast pages experiencing such adventure without even leaving the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful way to put it! I completely agree

      Delete
  2. Dear Carli:

    My novel, BLUE SUN, YELLOW SKY, will be published in paperback the first quarter of 2015. After reading a few of your thoughtful reviews (The Fault in Our Stars, If I Stay, The Best of Me), I thought my book might be of particular interest to you.

    Hailed as “One of the best technical painters of our time” by an L.A. Times critic, 27 year-old, Aubrey Johnson's work is finally gaining traction. But as she weaves through what should be a celebration of her art, a single nagging echo of her doctor’s words refuses to stay silent—there is no cure. In less than eight weeks Aubrey is going blind.

    Traveling on a one-way ticket around the world with childhood friend Jeff Anderson, Aubrey is in complete denial. But a blindfolded game of tasting foreign foods in China jolts her into confronting the reality of her situation. So begins her quest.

    In this adult coming of age story, Aubrey struggles to make sense of her crippling diagnosis. But on her journey she finds a deeper understanding of herself and her life—sometimes fragmented and complex, but always with relentless truth.



    Author: Jamie Hoang
    Book Title: BLUE SUN, YELLOW SKY
    Publisher: HJ Press
    Publication Date: e-book (available now on Amazon Kindle); Paperback April 25, 2015
    Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23972297-blue-sun-yellow-sky
    ISBN: 978-1-63443-371-6 (Paperback)
    ISBN: 978-1-63443-370-9 (e-book)
    Price: $2.99/Kindle $9.99 Paperback
    Page count: 298 pages
    Genre/sub-genre: Fiction/Women’s Fiction.


    BLUE SUN, YELLOW SKY was a finalist in the North Texas RWA’s “Great Expectations” Contest, and was recently named one of Kirkus Reviews’ Indie books of the Month (February 2015 issue). I am also a contributing author for Tiny Buddha, Simpler Life Today, and Cupboard Sundries, where my writing has reached over a million readers. I also work as a documentary series producer for CBS and FOX2. If interested, I would love to send you a copy (your choice of .epub, .mobi, or .pdf). Thank you for your time and consideration.


    Sincerely,
    Jamie Hoang
    E-mail: hey [at] heyjamie.com
    www.heyjamie.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jamie,

      Your book sounds like just the kind of story that I could lose myself in. I would love to read it. How do I get my hands on a copy? .pdf would probably be the best format. My email address is carlianderson212@gmail.com. Let me know if there is anything else you need from me, and a big thank you!

      - Carli

      Delete